EXCLUSIVE: Broadway producer Dale A. Mott (A Unusual Loop, The Piano Lesson, Ideas of a Coloured Man) and actual property investor/philanthropist Charles D. Urstadt have shaped Edgewood Leisure, a brand new multimedia manufacturing firm centered on supporting works by traditionally marginalized folks, together with the BIPOC and LBGTQIA+ communities and feminine artists.
Edgewood’s present tasks as lead producers embody a slate of ventures in numerous levels of growth, most with an eye fixed towards Broadway and all in line with the corporate’s mission assertion of giving voice to the marginalized. The tasks embody:
- Gun & Powder, produced in affiliation with P3 Productions, a brand new musical impressed by the true story of Mary and Martha Clarke, African American twin sisters who, passing as white in 1893 Texas, take extraordinary measures to settle their mom’s sharecropper debt and save her dwelling. Directed by Stevie Walker-Webb, Gun & Powder will first be introduced at Paper Mill Playhouse in Millburn, NJ., April 4-Might 5, 2024;
- Lengthy Manner Down, produced in affiliation with TheaterWorksUSA, is predicated on the acclaimed award-winning bestselling 2017 younger grownup novel by Jason Reynolds, which examined the cycle of gang violence by way of a collection of ghost tales. The musical, mixing hip-hp with R&B, will characteristic ebook and lyrics by Dahlak Braithwaite and Khiyon Hursey and course by Ken-Matt Martin. Lengthy Manner Down could have invited shows at The Apollo on October 27 and 28, adopted by a rolling world premiere on the Olney Theatre Middle in Olney, MD (Might 22-June 23, 2024), and The Apollo’s Victoria Theater in New York (October 2024, dates to be confirmed);
- Sugar Daddy, which acquired 2023 award nominations by the Outer Critics Circle and the Off-Broadway Alliance for its restricted engagement at SoHo Playhouse, follows comic Sam Morrison as he meets his accomplice at a homosexual bear pageant and finds hope and humor in grief after his passing. Morrison’s story mixes comedy and tragedy, addressing “love, loss, diabetes, seagull attacks, and a few extraordinary coincidences”;
- La Egoista by Dominican American playwright, performer, and theatremaker Erlina Ortiz, shares a narrative of the bond amongst siblings, the price of caregiving, and a comedic tackle “the fine line between selfish and selfless.” La Egoista premiered earlier this yr at Actors Theatre of Louisville adopted by a West Coast premiere at Skylight Theatre in Los Angeles. La Egoista is being additional developed with course by Puerto Rican director Tatyana-Marie Carlo;
- Grace, produced with NEWorks Productions, is a brand new musical celebrating the perseverance of household and the worth of cultural preservation. The manufacturing performed its world premiere at Ford’s Theatre in Washington, D.C., in 2022 the place it gained 11 BroadwayWorld Regional Awards. A brand new model of Grace was lately workshopped on the Dr. Phillips Middle for the Performing Arts in Orlando, FL.
Mott, who amongst different endeavors serves on the board of administrators for the Ogden Museum of Southern Artwork and is a member of the Black Trustee Alliance for Artwork Museums and an affiliate member of The Broadway League, has been a producer on the Broadway productions of A Unusual Loop (Tony Award, Greatest Musical), August Wilson’s The Piano Lesson, New York, New York, Ideas of a Coloured Man, and The Lifespan of a Reality.
In a press release, Mott stated the chance to “be able to focus on stories that we believe in that will inspire and uplift audiences is a dream.”
Urstadt has been in the actual property enterprise for greater than 40 years, lately serving as chairman of the board of administrators of Urstadt Biddle Properties, Inc, an actual property funding belief traded on the New York Inventory Alternate. At present, he leads Urstadt Property Firm, Inc., a privately held actual property funding company, serving as chairman and president.He has lengthy been a supporter of performing and visible arts and cultural causes.
Urstadt stated in a press release, “I have been a longtime supporter of theater, so I am truly grateful for this opportunity to work with my friend Dale on Edgewood Entertainment. The stories that we will tell deserve to be heard.”